While the U.S. begins the process of evacuating American passengers under quarantine due to coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, a passenger who chose to remain on the ship detailed what the evacuation looks like from the inside.
Matthew Smith, a passenger aboard the ship, previously told USA TODAY he and his wife Katherine were not planning to take the charter flight back to the United States because they believed the “way they are handling this is not safe.” On Sunday, he shared details of what the plan looked like for passengers as the evacuation began.
“(I’m) watching the ‘rescue’ with fascination,” he wrote in a series of messages to USA TODAY. “To have a front-row seat to an incident being followed world-wide is bizarre.”
Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.
In a letter sent Sunday morning to American passengers and crew members, the U.S. Embassy in Japan announced flights would depart Yokohama to the U.S. later that day and would be the “only opportunity for eligible passengers to fly to the United States until March 4, 2020, at the earliest.”
Smith said passengers were prompted to RSVP to the U.S. embassy to let them know if they were choosing to leave the ship.
“The American medical personnel who stopped by our stateroom to ask us some questions seemed surprised that we were staying, but didn’t go beyond that,” said Smith, adding that personnel confirmed the couple was not on their list before advising someone through a radio that they would remain on board.
For passengers who did opt to disembark, a “tented corridor with tables” was set up to process them through Japanese immigration. Guests are called and are currently boarding shuttles by their cruise deck, Smith said, adding “it appears the coaches will all depart together once they are filled.”
USA TODAY has reached out to Diamond Princess for more information about the evacuation.
How the U.S. plans to evacuate Americans
The U.S. State Department is coordinating with the Department of Health and Human Services along with other agencies to provide a charter aircraft to bring passengers back to the United States.
Americans will be bused to the aircraft and will be screened for coronavirus before boarding. The flight will land first at Travis Air Force Base in California, where some passengers will stay, while others will continue on to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.
All travelers returning from a “high risk area” will be required to complete a full 14-day quarantine upon their return. Americans who choose not to return on the charter flight will be unable to return to the U.S. before next month, the letter said.
Earlier in the week, the cruise line announced that some passengers, starting with the medically vulnerable, would be let off the ship to complete the quarantine. The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo said Friday that the first group of passengers disembarked in Yokahama, Japan, to complete their 14-day quarantine period for coronavirus off the ship.
So far, 12 people have voluntarily disembarked and 55 in the group that tested negative for coronavirus stayed on board, Princess Cruises said in a release provided by spokesperson Negin Kamali.
The Diamond Princess is thought to be the largest group of coronavirus patients outside China, where the outbreak has infected more than 69,200 people and killed 1,670 as of Sunday afternoon.
The Princess Cruises ship was carrying 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew when it set sail and was quarantined after 10 cases of coronavirus were reported Feb. 4.
Preliminary plans for the end of the Diamond Princess cruise ship’s quarantine came to light Saturday after the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Japan announced the U.S. will evacuate American passengers aboard the ship.
The Princess Cruises ship has been under quarantine since the coronavirus outbreak, and the required two-week quarantine is supposed to end Feb. 19. The company announced Sunday it would cancel additional cruises planned through April 20, “based on the prolonged quarantine period and the anticipated time to prepare the ship to return service.”
Princess Cruises also announced Saturday an additional 67 cases of coronavirus were identified on the ship, bringing the total to at least 285 cases of coronavirus. Additionally, the cruise line announced on its website and social media that it would cancel Asia voyages on two of its ships, the Sapphire Princess and Majestic Princess.
There are about 400 American passengers on board the Diamond Princess, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Diamond Princess Update:
President Jan Swartz provided a video update to the guests and team onboard Diamond Princess as the Japanese Ministry of Health begins to share their draft plans for disembarkation. #DiamondPrincesspic.twitter.com/cASOUu4zgs
Contributing: Curtis Tate, Jayme Deerwester, USA TODAY
- Viral video of seat-punching passenger sparks debateAn American Airlines passenger named Wendi Williams captured a video of a man hitting her seat. The man who sat behind Williams repeatedly punched her seat because she reclined her chair. This viral video instantly sparked a debate on Twitter on whether reclining seats on airplanes is impolite.CNBC
- TSA keeps loose change left in bins and it adds up!Keep the change? That’s just what TSA is doing and Veuer’s Lenneia Batiste has more on how it added up to nearly $1 million dollars one year!Veuer
- The best thing to eat onboard the world’s largest cruise shipOn board Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas, choosing from 64 dining options can be overwhelming. We spoke to experts and scoured the internet to come up with a list of the best dishes on the world’s largest cruise ship. We tried them all and picked an ultimate winner.INSIDER
Source: Read Full Article