We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
TUI Cruises have experienced an outbreak of COVID-19 onboard one of their ships sailing around Greece. Twelve members of crew have tested positive for coronavirus on cruise ship Mein Schiff 6, in the latest cruise news. The infected group are now all in isolation onboard the vessel.
TUI Cruises have said the cruise holiday will continue as planned.
The ship is on a seven-night voyage around Greece from the port of Heraklion in Crete.
TUI Cruises – which is joint owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises and TUI Group – explained all crew are routinely tested ahead of sailings.
They also all carry out 14 days of quarantine ahead of working.
Cruise staff are regularly tested for the virus and the 12 who tested positive received the news today.
None of them were showing symptoms, said TUI Cruises.
The cruise line has said guests and crew should not be concerned about the outbreak due to the rigorous cleaning and hygiene measures in place onboard.
TUI Cruises told Express.co.uk: “We have prepared very carefully for the resumption of cruises in these exceptional times, both on land and on board, and have coordinated all processes with the relevant authorities.
“In addition to prevention before and during the voyage, extensive hygiene measures and distance rules on board, TUI Cruises also has defined processes on board in case of possible COVID 19 cases, which are now taking effect.
“As a part of TUI Cruises‘ health and hygiene concept, all crew is tested before they come on board and furthermore go into a 14-day-self-isolation on board before starting their work.
“In the course of the early warning system, the crew on board is furthermore regularly tested for COVID-19.
“On Monday morning we received positive test results from 12 crew members of Mein Schiff 6 (currently sailing with guests in Greece) from an external laboratory.”
The company’s statement continued: “The entire crew has not become conspicuous in the last 14 days. None of the 12 crew members has any symptoms.
“To rule out the unlikely case of infection, the persons concerned are currently being tested again with our PCR rapid test device on board.
“These tests are currently being conducted, the first results came out to be negative (four out of 12 so far).
“In addition, we will take further swabs from the crew members and send them to an external laboratory.
“As a pure precautionary measure and in accordance with the strict procedures for resuming cruise operations, which have been agreed with the authorities in Greece, the persons concerned were immediately isolated on board.
“We will stick to our original itinerary and sail to Piräus tomorrow, this has been decided in accordance with the Greek authorities.
“Thanks to the extensive hygiene measures and clearance rules on board, there is no reason for neither guests nor crew to worry.”
Source: Read Full Article