George Eustice advises Brits to ‘holiday at home’
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
With the green list rapidly dwindling following the June 3 update, holidaymakers may be scrambling to find somewhere safe to jet off to over the summer months. However, there may be bad news ahead following comments from Enrvionemt Secretary George Eustice.
The MP warned Britons not to set their sights on a holiday abroad and instead look to the UK this summer.
Speaking on Sky News Mr Eustice said: “I think, my advice to people would be holiday at home, we have got some great places here.”
It comes following Portugal’s sudden removal from the green list which saw thousands of Britons racing home before the quarantine rule came into force.
Mr Eustice pointed out that for those desperate to get away there is always the risk they may have to race home or face quarantine.
“There are still a small number of countries on that green list,” said Mr Eustice.
“If they wanted to do that then they can but obviously they have to understand that there are risks in doing that as well.”
He continued: “People will make their own individual judgements on this.
“I will be staying at home. I have no intention of travelling or going on holiday abroad this summer, some people may but they have to understand there are risks in doing so because it is a dynamic situation but I think most people will probably decide this year to stay at home.”
Where is hot in November? 10 holiday resorts to visit for winter sun [LIST]
Airline bosses demand travel corridor between UK and US [INSIGHT]
Portugal: Fury at amber list ‘misery’ as Britons race to get home [COMMENT]
While many experts had previously predicted a number of new countries, including Malta and the Greek islands, would make it onto the green list at the June review, the Government decided against this.
Portugal was axed from the list and no further additions were made.
Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps defended the decision as taking a “safety first approach”.
Mr Shapps told BBC News: “I want to be straight with people, it’s actually a difficult decision to make, but in the end, we’ve seen two things really which have caused concern.
“One is that the positivity rate has nearly doubled since the last review in Portugal, and the other is that there’s a Nepal mutation of the so-called Indian variants which has been detected.”
He explained that research is ongoing into whether or not variants impact the vaccine rollout.
However, airlines and travel firms have slammed the Government’s decision.
Johan Lundgren, CEO of EasyJet, commented: “This shock decision to add Portugal to the amber list is a huge blow to those who are currently in Portugal and those who have booked to be reunited with loved ones or take a well-deserved break this summer with Portugal rates similar to those in the UK it simply isn’t justified.”
Meanwhile, Ryanair CEO said the Government are “playing with people’s lives.”
Michael O’Leary told BBC Breakfast that the decision “isn’t based on science” given the levels of COVID-19 in Portugal.
He said: “I think what upset us and most of the rest of the industry yesterday was that this decision to move Portugal from green to amber isn’t based on any science or public health.”
Mr O’Leary continued: “What we don’t understand is why the UK, which has been so successful with vaccines, is expecting its vaccinated citizens travelling to Portugal, coming back to quarantine. They’ve already been vaccinated.
“So they’re making it up as they go along.
“It’s more mismanagement of the Covid recovery by the Johnson Government and sadly it’s created unnecessary disruption and stress for thousands, hundreds of thousands of British families.”
Source: Read Full Article