The best museums in the world revealed: Musee d’Orsay in Paris ranked No1 by TripAdvisor, with New York attractions coming second and third and the British Museum fourth
- New York’s 9/11 Museum was ranked second in the Travellers’ Choice Awards
- The Met, also in New York, came third and the British Museum in London is fourth
- Spain’s Prado National Museum in Madrid, which is full of art, takes fifth place
The best museum in the world for 2018 has been named as the Musee d’Orsay in Paris.
It comes top of the pile in TripAdvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice Awards for Museums, beating New York’s 9/11 Memorial and Museum into second place.
Third is fellow Big Apple attraction The Metropolitan Museum of Art, otherwise known as the Met, while in fourth place is the British Museum in London.
Inside the Musee d’Orsay in the French capital, Paris. It has been named the best museum in the world by TripAdvisor
The awards are decided by an algorithm that analyses the millions of reviews and opinions collected in a single year from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide.
Winner Musee d’Orsay, which was once a railway station, impressed visitors as it now houses a staggering collection of impressionist art, as well as other items created between 1848 and 1914.
Following the 9/11 Museum, the Met and the British Museum is Spain’s Prado National Museum in Madrid in fifth place – it’s known, says TripAdvisor, for its diverse assortment of works by Velasquez, Goya and El Greco.
Also ranking in the top 10 are the Acropolis Museum in Athens (sixth), the Louvre Museum in Paris (seventh) and The National World War Two Museum in New Orleans (eighth).
The second-best rated museum in the world is the moving 9/11 Memorial and Museum in New York
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which topped the list in 2016, comes third
The most highly ranked museum in the UK is the British Museum, takes fourth place
TOP 10 TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE MUSEUMS IN THE WORLD
1. Musée d’Orsay – Paris, France
2. The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum – New York City
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art -New York City
4. The British Museum – London
5. Prado National Museum – Madrid
6. Acropolis Museum – Athens
7. Louvre Museum – Paris
8. The National WWII Museum – New Orleans, Louisiana
9. National Museum of Anthropology – Mexico City
10. War Remnants Museum – Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Rounding off the top ten are the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City (ninth) and the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (tenth).
TripAdvisor also produced European and UK rankings.
The National Gallery in London – home to collections of Western European paintings dating back to the 13th century – comes sixth in the European list (the top five obviously being drawn from the top 10 global ranking).
Other highly rated museums in Europe include the Vasa Museum in Stockholm (seventh), Uffizi Galleries in Florence (eighth), Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum (ninth) and Russia’s State Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg (tenth).
In the UK, London comes out top again, boasting half the winners.
One of the most highly rated museums in Europe is Spain’s Prado National Museum in Madrid. It ranks fifth globally
The National Gallery in London – home to collections of Western European paintings dating back to the 13th century – comes sixth in the European list
Last year’s winner the V&A Museum comes third and other winners from the capital include the Natural History Museum and Churchill War Rooms, which take fourth and sixth place respectively.
The highest ranked museum outside of London is the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, which comes fifth.
Hayley Coleman, spokesperson for TripAdvisor, said: ‘This year’s award-winning museums are a great start for travellers wanting to explore the world’s finest collections of art, culture, design, history and science.’
- For great travel deals visit www.mailtravel.co.uk.
BEST MUSEUMS IN BRITAIN AND THE REST OF EUROPE
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Museums in Europe
1. Musée d’Orsay — Paris, France
2. The British Museum — London, England
3. Prado National Museum — Madrid, Spain
4. Acropolis Museum — Athens, Greece
5. Louvre Museum — Paris, France
6. National Gallery — London, England
7. Vasa Museum — Stockholm, Sweden
8. Uffizi Galleries — Florence, Italy
9. Rijksmuseum — Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10. The State Hermitage Museum — St. Petersburg, Russia
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Museums in the UK
1. The British Museum — London, England
2. National Gallery — London
3. V&A – Victoria and Albert Museum — London
4. Natural History Museum — LondoN
5. National Museum of Scotland — Edinburgh
6. Churchill War Rooms — London
7. Titanic Belfast — Belfast
8. National Railway Museum — York
9. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum — Glasgow
10. The Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel — Glasgow, Scotland
Source: Read Full Article